It has been a little over two weeks since an invitation was issued to young clergy and other young leaders within The United Methodist Church to participate in a 40 day prayer campaign for the denomination. I can gladly say that over 40 people have committed to write prayers for the campaign, and a handful of others have committed to pray with and for us during this period.
I have set the dates for the campaign. We will begin on Monday, May 18 and conclude our 40 days on June 26. At this time our campaign is represented by members from a number of annual conferences. At last count we have voices from 18 annual conferences, and geographically span the map from the east to the west coast of the U.S.A.
The task is not through. I’m now looking for persons who are committed to follow the blog and pray during this campaign. Most of the prayers written will take approximately 5 minutes to read, some will be shorter, some may be longer.
Will you commit to pray during this campaign?
Once I have a live link for the prayer campaign I will pass along that information to those who leave a comment or contact me via email. I will also post that information to my blog. We are planning to have a Blog Action Day to help forward this campaign. If you leave me a comment or drop me a note, I will pass along the date when it is set.
If you are willing to pray for and alongside those persons leading this campaign please leave a comment. I will keep your name and email contact information handy, and will pass along links and details for how you might pray during the campaign. Together we will:
- Pray for the faithful witness of those persons called “Christian,” Methodist or otherwise, to Jesus the Messiah.
- Pray for new persons to come to faith in Jesus through our collective witness.
- Pray for the renewal of The United Methodist Church.
- Pray for young clergy and leaders within The United Methodist Church, including those persons God might yet call to leadership.
- Pray for God’s vision for the Church moving forward, wherein we might do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with God.
In the six weeks we have until this campaign launches, please pray for those who will be giving voice to our prayers, and for the church catholic.
May we be more faithful witnesses to Jesus Christ, our Lord.